Katharine Hepburn's Fudgy Brownies Made Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free
Growing up in Texas, I was inundated with heavy foods made with massive quantities of butter, margarine, corn syrup, artificial flavors, preservatives and gluten. Living in California over the years has influenced me to lighten up with healthier, unrefined and easier to digest ingredients. I have turned my favorite brownie recipe, that is already easy & simple thanks to Katharine Hepburn, into a lighter but just as delicious non-dairy, gluten-free treat.
Incorporating gluten-free, dairy-free recipes into our diet support the digestive system and decrease inflammatory reactions in the body. In addition, this recipe features some superfood ingredients with numerous health benefits:
Extra-virgin coconut oil - easily metabolized, thereby assisting in weight loss; has anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-microbial properties; boosts immune system; normalizes blood sugar; supports adrenal glands; restores thyroid function
Extra-virgin olive oil - beautifying; one of the highest natural sources of vitamin e; high in polyphenols (water soluble antioxidants); boosts immune system; proven to lower heart disease
Chocolate/cacao (look for high cacao content with no additives, sugar, etc) - high in antioxidants and magnesium; increases serotonin and endorphins in the body; aphrodisiac
½ cup cocoa or 2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate*
1/4 cup organic unrefined virgin coconut oil**
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil**
1 cup organic sugar (This recipe works with organic dark brown sugar or coconut sugar)
2 organic eggs
1/4 cup gluten-free flour (I love to use Pure Pantry's All Purpose Gluten Free Baking Blend; almond flour & oat flour also work)
1 teaspoon organic vanilla
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 cup roughly chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Melt oils with the cocoa/chocolate in a heavy saucepan over low heat, whisking constantly until blended.
2. Remove from heat and stir in the sugar. Allow the chocolate, oil & sugar mixture to cool slightly before adding the eggs. (Otherwise the heat will cook the eggs ruining the brownie consistency).
3. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla.
4. Add flour, sea salt and walnuts. Mix well.
5. Pour into a well buttered or oiled 8-inch square baking pan.
6. Bake at 325 degrees for about 40 minutes till a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. *Watch closely especially if you love fudgy brownies. These brownies took only 15-20 minutes in my oven!
Sometimes I find it necessary to mention specific high-quality products to recreate the exact flavor of the recipe. I receive no financial incentive or free goods to talk about my favorite products.
*Loving the new organic Sunspire baking chocolate bars. Been baking with those.
**I like to combine Artisana's Organic Extra Virgin Coconut oil + Colavita's Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil as a butter replacement (If you consume dairy, you can use organic butter in place of the oil.)